The Importance of Calcium

0
78
Importance of Calcium
The Importance of Calcium

The body need the mineral calcium for good health. Some foods naturally contain calcium, and others need it added. It is found as a nutritional supplement and in some medicines

Why our body needs Calcium for good health?

Calcium is a mineral for healthy bones. 99% of the calcium in the body remains in the bones and teeth. They are created hard and durable by the mineral. The remaining 1% is needed for many activities that help the body function normally. Calcium helps blood vessels constrict (narrow) and dilate, helps muscles contract, helps send messages through the nervous system, and helps glands secrete hormones.

Bones are constantly being rebuilt every day, and calcium moves in and out of them. Total bone mass rises in children and adolescents because the body builds new bone faster than it breaks down old bone. This continues until about age 30, when new bone formation and old bone breakdown begin to occur at roughly the same rate. In older adults, especially post-menopausal women, bone breaks down at a faster rate than it forms. If calcium intake is too low, it can contribute to osteoporosis.

How much calcium do adults need each day?

Age affects how much calcium is needed for healthy teeth and bones. The National Institutes of Health recommends this level of daily intake for adults

Daily Calcium Intake for Adults:

  • Adults 19-50 years: 1,000 mg daily.
  • Adult male 51-70 years: 1,000 mg daily.
  • Adult women 51-70 years: 1,200 mg daily.
  • Adults 71 years and older: 1,200 mg daily.
  • Pregnant and breastfeeding teens: 1,300 mg.
  • Pregnant and lactating adults: 1,000 mg victim.

What should we do if we need enough calcium?

The best way to get enough calcium each day is to eat a variety of healthy foods from different food groups. Getting enough vitamin D each day from foods like fortified milk or natural sunlight is important to help the body absorb and use calcium from food.

Here are some simple guidelines for choosing calcium-rich foods:

  • Dairy products contain the highest calcium. Dairy products include milk, yogurt and cheese. The total amount of calcium in one cup (eight ounces) of milk is 300 milligrams. The proportion pf calcium is skim, low-fat, and whole milk is the same.
  • Dark green, leafy vegetables are rich in calcium. Broccoli, kale and collards are good sources of calcium, especially when eaten raw or lightly steamed. (Boiling vegetables can extract much of their mineral content.)
  • A serving of canned salmon or sardines contains about 200 milligrams of calcium. It is found in the soft bones of fish.
  • Cereals, pasta, bread and other foods made with grains can add calcium to the diet. Look for mineral-rich cereals, including calcium.

In addition to cereals, calcium is sometimes added to fruit juices, soy and rice drinks, and tofu. Read the product label to find out, how much calcium add their.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here